Sunday, May 25, 2008

5 years ago today

May 25, 2003 I was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormons. This life changing decision was not just an over night thought but a decision that took about a year a fasting and praying. It all began one sunny afternoon in Escondido when two boys knocked on my door wearing name tags. They asked to speak to my sister Celia and she told me to tell them she was not home and to come back later. Little did we know that they were very persistent and actually did come back one week later. At that time Celia was not home so I decided to give a listen to what they had to say. Since I was the only one home we decided to talk by the pool where there were others around. We spoke of Christ and his teaching and the Bible. Then after about two visits they introduced me to a pair a sister missionaries who were accompanied by my neighbors (I never knew existed) who would later become some dear friends to me. So the sister Priece spoke to me about Heaven and different degrees and that is where I stopped. I decided to not listen to the discussions and just be friends. The whole time while I had been meeting with the missionaries I had been having an inner struggle with, what my family would think, while feeling that the teachings were true. Another reason I was scared to learn is that I was afraid that God would be angry at me for gaining knowledge. I had never really understood the scripture James 1:5 " If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God..." so once I did understand I asked. For some time dates, FHE and the occasional fireside was all I attended. NEVER did I go to church with them because it conflicted with my own church time.
Well one evening I was at a fireside and afterwards a dear friend pulled me aside and asked me questions: WHY WOULDN'T THERE BE PROPHETS ON THE EARTH TODAY? WHY CAN'T THERE BE MODERN DAY REVELATION? IF JESUS APPEARED TO PEOPLE IN JERUSALEM WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE APPEARED TO PEOPLE IN THE AMERICA'S? These questions got me thinking. The spirit inside me knew that there was some truth to these questions. So that night I went home and prayed to Heavenly Father. I will never forget this night. HE told me that he knew that I knew this church was true, but of course I needed to know for sure so I said to Him "God if I open this book (the book of Mormon which I had never read on my own thus far. Actually I had thrown three of them away) and if it is true then send me a clear sign. I kid you not I just flipped open the book with my eyes closed and pointed my finger. The passage it landed on was Alma 32:16 "Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble: or rather in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubborness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe." There was no arguing with that scripture so I decided in that moment to be baptized. I came to the understanding in that moment that it was not my family that would be speaking up for me in the END but it was I who had to answer for all my choices. There were people that were not very happy with my decision but it had to be done. One of the hardest moments was when I told my sister and there was silence on the phone. We had NEVER had silence.... I wept in that moment but there is no denying the truth of the gospel. 
I love this gospel so dearly and I am so grateful that the church in which Jesus Christ established in the days of old is now restored in our day. It is because of this gospel that I am able to be sealed to my husband for time and all eternity and be sealed to my little Elizabeth. I know where I am going in life as well as my purpose and where I have been before this life. I know that there are apostles and prophets on the earth today and I know that Joesph Smith was a prophet and Jesus Christ is our savior and the chief corner stone of this church. I am so blessed by everything I have learned and been given from Heavenly Father. I can go anywhere in the world and be taught the same principles and teachings on Sunday. I can partake of the sacrament every week and renew my baptism covenants. I not only have the Bible but I also have the Book of Mormon (another testament of Jesus Christ) , Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and Prophets that will help me hear all that God has to reveal.  I challenge you to do as it says in James 1:5 " If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God..." and find the truth for yourself. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.




8 comments:

mel said...

Hey, bud! I've been thinking about you a ton this weekend....remembering that today was your anniversary! Warren and I were just talking about it last night.....can't believe it's been 5 years! Man, those days were so special. You have such a magnificent testimony! You're a great example to me, Doretha. I'm so glad to have met you that night!

LOVE YOU!

flip flop mama said...

What a great story, Doretha. I'm not sure I've ever heard all the details. I'm so glad you did what you felt was right!

Ashley said...

Man I can't believe it's been five years!!!!!! Your awesome!!! Your testimony is amazing!!! Whenever you come and visit your family in washington you will have to let Ashley and I know so we can get together.

Sarah said...

Doretha, thank you so much for posting about your conversion! Each persons conversion is deeply personal, and I cried tears of joy for you and your experience. I'm so glad to know you and am SO happy that YOU are so happy!

.From Her. said...

Oh I loved that story. It gave me chills. YOU GO GIRL.

Tyler and Kristen Owens said...

Doretha,
I can't believe that it's already been five years. I remember your baptism like it was yesterday. Listening to the discussions with you was such a testimony builder for me. You are so strong and valiant! I am so proud of you and the choices that you have made in your life. I love you! Thanks for sharing this it brought back a lot of precious memories!

Tyler and Kristen Owens said...

Melissa if you see this... please start a blog soon!!

shelly said...

That is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL story of your conversion! Thank you so very much for sharing it, Doretha! Every shared testimony like that just strengthens your own and everyone else's.